Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sometimes there is no process....

In light of Easter weekend upon us, I thought I would share from the heart today. There is simplicity and then there is complexity. Sometimes, in our pursuit of developing a process, we make it complex, rather than simple.

As some of you know, I have been looking for a job during the last few months. All the while, I have been following advice, researching methods, and doing what appears to be the “guidelines” for this process which we'll call job seeking. As you job seekers know, there are a ton of guidelines published on the matter. Guidelines on resumes, cover letters, networking, interviewing, negotiation, etc. It’s overwhelming to be on the Internet or in a networking group, or in a job seeking seminar to hear the ever so many strategic moves and guidelines needed to land a job these days.

Through my networking efforts, I have met many, many new people. And during my search for doing just the right thing that everyone suggests, I have come to realize a few simple things. There is no real process to be followed by any one person in landing a job. What works for one person, will not work for another. A cover letter that is taught by the experts may not work for some. And the reason why is very simple. Until you really know yourself, what you want and what your real value is to a company, the search is impossible. Now you might think, that’s easy. “I know I want to be a salesperson because of my relationship building skills and sales records which are top notch in this industry.” But that’s just it. If we follow the standard process and standard buzz words, and maintain the corporate mentality expected of us or given to us through experience, we may fail at what the real heart of the situation may be. Our true and authentic self. Yes, we have all contributed in a major way, but so has the next person.

Finding what the true simple ingredients are that make you just the right person for this company or for God’s purpose is the key to success. Knowledge of what those ingredients are is powerful. For some it’s easy. For others it’s difficult due to their wiring, their experiences, and the way they were made by God. How do we get this knowledge? Sometimes it takes some work . But for those of you who have been in the market, have you noticed there is nothing in print about how to get this knowledge? It’s all about the other processes and procedures and “guidelines." And for someone who likes to follow, develop and write processes and procedures, this exercise may be difficult at best. But during my pursuit of following the “networking guidelines,” I met with 3 people all in this past week who have truly made a difference in my thinking on this subject. And what I received from these people is knowledge and wisdom about myself which are true gifts , better than the gift of company contacts, job leads, and help with your resume. These three people were all acting in the power of God to give me the gift of wisdom. And they were very gracious with their gifts. Now it’s my turn to act on it and to know my key ingredients and where and how they will best be served and of course to give gifts to others.

My point is this. Sometimes we can make something so complex in our search to find answers on how to do something. Process driven people want to follow and develop processes. But sometimes, it’s not about a process. It’s about ourselves.

Happy reflections on this Easter weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I hear a beautiful song. Keep singing sister!
    Happy Easter! Janet

    ReplyDelete